Students who plan to secure an F-1 visa must apply for a federal I-20 form. Before BVSD issues an I-20 form students must meet certain requirements for admission to the Boulder Valley School District. The qualifications include:
- Same age and other general requirements of other high school students;
- Submission of a school transcript translated into English;
- Financial sponsorship by a responsible adult living in the BVSD. This is a formal process documented by the completion of an affidavit of financial support. (INS Form I-134);
- Completion of a written application in English requesting permission and explaining why he/she wants to attend a BVSD school;
- Full tuition for the academic year. The cost is $9,650.00 in US dollars.
Legal Requirements for F-1 foreign Students in Public Schools
As of November 30, 1996, the following restrictions were legislated regarding foreign students on F-1 visa status:
- Attendance in public secondary schools (grades 9 through 12) is limited to a maximum of 12 months;
- Attendance in public elementary schools or publicly-funded adult education programs is prohibited;
- Reimbursement must be made to the public secondary school for the full, unsubsidized per capita cost of education for the intended period of study.
For first semester attendance, all application materials must be submitted by June 1 of the same calendar year. For second semester, all application materials must be submitted by December 1 of the preceding calendar year.
The non-immigrant foreign student (F-1) will not qualify to graduate from a Boulder Valley School District high schools.