Points of Pride
- Our students are able to choose an academically challenging bilingual program for students to learn Spanish in a dual immersion format.
- Our school climate rating is one of the best in our school district according to the 2008 student snapshot survey (more current data unavailable until May).
- Starting fall 2010, students will learn in a new, energy-efficient, state-of-the-art facility with abundant natural light and high-quality indoor environment.
- Named “School to Watch” in 2004 and 2006 for innovative and effective teaching practices. Chosen as visitation site for 2008 National Middle School Conference.
Equity (E): Increase the growth median for Latinos in math by 2 standard errors (8 points—48 to 56). Achievement (A): Increase the overall growth medians by one standard error (3 points: from 61 to 64 in math, 62 to 65 in writing, and 62 to 65 in reading). Organization (O): Increase positive responses by 5 percent in each of the targeted items on the Snapshot Survey (i.e., items related to bullying, adults in school and expectations for learning).
Casey Middle School is a dynamic and exciting learning community of students, parents, and faculty from an array of cultures. At Casey, all students are challenged to thrive academically in a rigorous program that is relevant and future-oriented. Casey promises both challenging academics and a socially and emotionally nurturing environment valuing the uniqueness of each student. Casey offers a full range of academic and elective choices. As a Pre-Advanced Placement school, Casey offers students exposure to the Habits of Mind and study skills that prepare them for the advanced learning necessary for future success in an increasingly complex and changing world. We are a neighborhood school that hosts a focus program, Dual Immersion Bilingual, as well as a traditional middle school program. Some key features of our school are:
- A commitment to learning in depth through reading, writing, and discussion
- A highly ranked math program that provides students with the challenge needed to ensure high levels of growth over three years
- A continuum of English classes—from advanced English language arts to English as a Second Language (ESL) --exists to supported and challenge all students
- A bilingual program offering classes in Spanish language arts, Spanish reading and Spanish social studies to support bilingualism in both native Spanish and native English speaking students
- A Talented and Gifted (TAG) Program with an on-site coordinator
- Success for students of all language backgrounds in honors math and advanced language arts classes because Casey students receive extra support as needed.
- Traditional and unique electives, such as Leadership, Baile Folklórico and AVID, as well as after school activities like Hip-Hop Dance, Skiing and Outdoor Education, round out our instructional program.
- Families are involved through PTA, SIT, Casey Parents (a parent orientation meeting offered in Spanish).