- Board Governance and Operations
File: BCA-E1 (pdf)
Adopted: March 9, 2010
CODE OF ETHICS FOR SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS
As a member of my local board of education, I will strive to improve public education and to that end I will:
- Attend all regularly scheduled board meetings insofar as possible and become informed concerning the issues to be considered at those meetings.
- Recognize that I should endeavor to make policy decisions only after full discussion at publicly held board meetings.
- Render all decisions based on the available facts and my independent judgment and refuse to surrender that judgment to individuals or special interest groups.
- Encourage the free expression of opinion by all board members and seek systematic communications between the board and students, staff and all elements of the community.
- Work with other board members to establish effective board policies and to delegate authority for the administration of the schools to the superintendent.
- Communicate to other board members and the superintendent expressions of public reaction to board policies and school programs.
- Inform myself about current educational issues by individual study and through participation in programs providing needed information, such as those sponsored by my state and national school boards associations.
- Support the employment of those persons best qualified to serve as school staff and insist on a regular and impartial evaluation of all staff.
- Avoid being placed in a position of conflict of interest and refrain from using my board position for personal or partisan gain.
- Take no private action that will compromise the board or administration and respect the confidentiality of information that is privileged under applicable laws.
- Remember always that my first and greatest concern must be the educational welfare of the students attending the public schools.
NOTE: This is the official code of ethics for board members of the National School Boards Association.
End of File: BCA-E1