- Support Services
File: EFB-R (pdf)
Issued: date of manual adoption, Current practice codified 1978
Revised: August 24, 2004
FREE AND REDUCED-PRICE FOOD SERVICES
The following criteria have been established for use in determining eligible patrons for free and reduced-price meals:
- Each school will designate an official to determine which individual children are eligible for a free or reduced price meal.
- The District will provide forms to parents or guardians on which an application for consideration of eligibility of their children for reduced-price or free lunches can be made. This application form and its content are considered part of this policy.
- The District will provide a free lunch to the children upon receipt of the application and will continue to do so until the determination is made as to whether the children qualify for a reduced-price or a free lunch.
- If the application is denied, the parents or guardians may appeal this decision to the Director of Food Services and a hearing will be conducted under the hearing procedure prescribed in section 9 of the National School Lunch Act, as amended. Prior to the hearing the child will continue to receive a reduced or free lunch.
- The District will abide by the national minimum poverty guidelines as issued by the Secretary of the United States Department of Agriculture and other criteria for eligibility as required.
- The District will notify the parents at the beginning of the school year of the availability of the reduced-price or free lunch. This will be a notice sent home with children or a letter mailed to the children's home. This notice is considered part of this policy.
- The District will provide a release to all informational media in the area at the same time the notice is sent to the home.
- Children receiving reduced-price meals will not be required, as a condition of receiving such meals: to use a separate lunchroom or section of the lunchroom; to go through a separate serving line; to enter the lunchroom through a different entrance; to work for their meals; to use a different medium of exchange; to eat lunch at a different time from paying children; and the names will not be made public but shall be confidential information.
In order to protect the anonymity of the children receiving the reduced-price or free meal, no other child in the school will consciously be made aware of the identity of the children receiving free or reduced price meals.
End of File: EFB-R