File: GCPD-E1 (pdf)
SUSPENSION AND DISMISSAL OF PROFESSIONAL STAFF MEMBERS
(And Contract Nonrenewal) ‐ TEACHERS
Outline of Tenure Teacher Dismissal Procedures
- Written charges are filed with the Board by the Superintendent or one of the members of the Board.
- The Board accepts or rejects the charges for review.
- The Secretary of the Board sends written notice to the teacher, as detailed in the law.
- The teacher may exercise the right to a hearing before a panel of three persons: one selected by the Board, one by the teacher, and a third selected by the other two. If they cannot agree, the lieutenant governor names the third panel member.
- The panel conducts hearings.
- A record and transcript is made of all evidence and testimony received by the panel.
- The panel reviews evidence and testimony and makes written findings of fact.
- The panel recommends that the teacher be dismissed or retained.
- The Board Secretary notifies the teacher of the time and place for Board consideration of panel findings.
- The Board, after reviewing the findings and recommendations, may order that the teacher be dismissed, that the teacher be retained, or that the teacher be placed on probation for a period of one year.
Current practice codified 1978
End of File: GCPD-E1