Boulder Valley School District

Driving towards the fire, ‘that’s what we do’

BSVD bus drivers who helped with Marshall Fire evacuation pose for a photo
Jodie Carroll

En español

As the Marshall Fire grew out of control, a handful of Boulder Valley School District bus drivers answered the call. With little notice, they volunteered to come in during Winter Break and drove towards danger to help with evacuations.

“It was terrifying. I have never witnessed something so powerful, ever. It was a fire that was absolutely raging,” said Jane Fastenau, from BVSD’s Bus Routing and Field Trip team, who also helps drive buses during the driver shortage.

Smoke from the Marshall Fire as seen from the BVSD Lafayette Bus Terminal

On the day of the Marshall Fire, Fastenau had been working late and could feel the strong winds literally blowing off part of the building's roof. She decided to go home and saw the fire burning as she drove. When she arrived home, she received a phone call from BVSD Transportation Supervisor Keith Putman asking if she could come back to work to help evacuate medical facilities due to the fire. She returned to work without hesitation. 

Through the intense heat of the fire, some drivers were already evacuating patients at the Juniper Village Memory Care Facility, located right next to Monarch High School. However, that team called for additional drivers to come help. 

Fastenau met Putman, and about 15 others from the Transportation Department, at the Lafayette terminal. They were ready to provide additional assistance, including a Lafayette dispatcher who came to help, even though he was evacuated from his home.

“Even though my house was in pre-evacuation orders, I knew I needed to help these people. I went to the terminal to do whatever was needed,” recalled the dispatcher. “After being there for a while, I heard from my family and knew that I had to return to help them. I felt torn between wanting to help and needing to help my family.”

Eventually, he learned that he had lost everything in the fire, but his family was able to get to safety. 

A bus mechanic looked back at that day remembering a phone call he received. 

The sun through the smoke during the Marshall Fire from the BVSD Lafayette Bus Terminal.

“It’s funny, as soon as I got the call to see if I could come in and help, my aunt, who lives in Kansas, called to ask if everything was okay,” recalled the mechanic. “At the time, I didn’t know the extent of the damage – just that buses were needed to evacuate folks and that meant that mechanics would be needed too. It was surreal reassuring her that everything was fine, when I knew that it really wasn’t. Chunks of ash drifted down like leaves across the bus parking lot while we pre-tripped buses. It’s unsettling to think back on that and realize that what I was seeing were the tangible remains of our friends’ and co-workers’ homes.”

Lafayette Terminal Supervisor Lynn Tidd spoke with several bus drivers from the first team that headed to Juniper Village to find out what it was like going into the fire. 

“As I reached out to each of these individuals [bus drivers] to thank them for their courage and generosity, I was met with humility and a sense of dedication that I just knew this is what each person needed to do to help in the situation,” said Tidd. “As the drivers continued to tell their stories, I was overcome with awe and gratitude for the humble courage they displayed.”

The drivers (who chose to remain anonymous) shared their experience that day:

“I was eager and willing to go and help. I had a sense of urgency and excitement. As we were running out the door to our buses, we realized we had no idea where we were going and needed to return to dispatch to get our location. I approached the hospital from the south on 88th Street. There were embers from the burning homes on St. Andrews Lane. The embers were flying up under the bus. I kept going. It was all so surreal.”

“I followed another driver as closely as I could to Juniper Village. I will not say that I was perfectly in my comfort zone. At one point I radioed the other driver because I was unable to follow him through the black smoke. He responded that he had his four-way hazards on, but I could not see them. I watched the burning embers hit the bus, but continued moving forward until I made it to Juniper House. Upon arrival, I assisted the medical team and “helpers” to load patients on the first bus. The patients were scared, cold and out of their comfort zone. I assisted personnel load my bus. I removed my coat and wrapped it around a patient. She was cold and in tears. Once loaded, I left for Golden Lodge Assisted Living. I headed down South 88th to East Coalton. Fires were burning in plain view and I saw houses being destroyed.”

“As I approached Juniper Village, 12-18 inch chunks of embers were blowing by the bus. It was terrifying. When I arrived, we saw no staff, so I banged on the doors to let them know we were there. Then, I saw a line of people coming out in wheelchairs, using walkers, holding each other. They asked where we were going. I told them they are safe and that we are going to a safe place. I guided people to seats, having to grab one man by the belt to keep him from getting off of the bus. We loaded about 25 people, a dog named Bernie and a cat named Kitty. One hospital staff member boarded the bus and we headed out of town. I was holding the hand of one of the women that seemed particularly distraught. I was comforting, reassuring and engaging the people to help them not be so scared. It took us two hours to get to Golden due to the number of road closures. I found this to be a wonderful and beautiful experience. The people that needed to be helped remain calm. I tried to stay calm for them. This was so surreal.”

After getting the call for assistance from the first team, Fastenau and two other buses were sent to assist at Juniper Village. It took some time for them to get there as they worked their way through road closures, traffic and smoke. 

View from bus during Marshall Fire with neighborhood on fire.

“Heading west on Dillon, I was stopped by police at 96th Street and told I could not proceed. I explained that I was trying to get to the hospital to help evacuate patients,” said one of the drivers. “They would not let me through. So I turned the bus around and travelled north to South Boulder Road. I encountered another police officer there and told him what I was doing. He radioed ahead to allow us to approach the hospital. As I was going there, I saw one of our retired drivers trying to herd his cows to save them. It was like being in a movie, very scary. The wind was blowing so hard. Embers were being tossed by the wind everywhere, hitting the sides of the bus. I could feel the heat from the flames. The flames were right there. Another driver radioed me and asked if we should maybe turn around. I replied that, no we need to help these people and keep going.” Fastenau recalled, “This fire, there was no stopping it, everything in its path was going to be destroyed. And the wind, I’ve never seen a power like that. The driver behind me said ‘should we be doing this?’ and I said ‘we have to’. There were literally embers hitting our bus. The houses just to the right of us were on fire. I was in a propane bus, which is, you know, compressed gas. So at that point, I didn’t know what it would take for that, but you just do what you have to do. When there are people, especially elderly people, that are in that situation, you do what you have to do.”

Fortunately, because the fire was right across the street from the memory center, by the time they arrived all of the people had already been evacuated. Fastenau and her team were unaware of this because they didn’t have radio contact at the time. 

“We did have two buses there before and they took the majority out to go to Golden,” said Putman. “They were the ones who contacted us back to say we will need more buses, we can’t get all the wheelchairs in. So that’s why we were trying to get more buses there. Turns out Via Transportation showed up and they helped, so everybody got out fine.”

As the fire raged further and the winds continued to blow, the drivers could feel the heat from the fire and knew they now had to return safely to the terminal.

“We had to get home. How were we going to get to the terminal? There was fire everywhere,” Fastenau recalled. “It was like nothing I’ve ever seen. The bus driver behind me said this is like in the movies, like a war zone movie. I will say my adrenaline was running high.”

On the other side of town, evacuations were needed at the Kestrel Apartments, a retirement community located at South Boulder Road and 95th Street in Louisville. The residents could see the fire from McCaslin Boulevard and wanted to get to safety. Putman dispatched a bus to bring them to the Lafayette YMCA. With traffic from all of the evacuees, it took the bus over an hour to get to the facility, which was only about 15 minutes away. When they arrived they were able to evacuate the residents safely.

Through these heroic acts, bus drivers will say that they just did their job. Many people don’t know that drivers do much, much more than bring students to and from school. They are often asked to help with transportation in the community with special events and yes, during tragedies. They have assisted in major snowstorms picking up stranded drivers, they helped with evacuations during the flood a few years ago, and now they went out into the fire to save lives. 

“Our job is about getting kids to school safely, but there is so much more to that. We get involved with families, with kids - any way that we can help, we do,” added Fastenau. “We in transportation consider ourselves more than just getting kids to school. We consider ourselves a fixture in the community that we can always be reached out to. Reach out and we will help in any way we can. The people here are incredibly giving, kind and always willing to help out, and I feel very fortunate to be working here.”

Fastenau did not want to get paid for her time helping out during the fire. She said she wouldn’t want to get paid for trying to help people. But of course she did, and she donated that money back to one of the families who lost everything. 

“That’s what we do here. I don’t think enough people know about the incredible people that work in our department,” said Fastenau.  

“And a touch heroic, but they don’t see that,” added Putman as he thanked his team. “You’re as good as we always knew you were. It wasn’t a surprise.” 

“Yeah, we don’t see that. I wouldn't consider myself a hero. I did what needed to be done and that’s what we do.”

Flames could be seen from the Lafayette bus terminal after sunset.

Entrar en el fuego, 'eso es lo que hacemos'

A medida que el incendio de Marshall crecía fuera de control, un grupo de conductores de autobús del Distrito Escolar del Valle de Boulder respondió a la llamada. Sin previo aviso, se ofrecieron como voluntarios para venir durante las vacaciones de invierno y condujeron hacia el peligro para ayudar con las evacuaciones.

"Fue algo aterrador. Nunca había presenciado algo tan impactante, jamás. Era un fuego absolutamente arrasador", dijo Jane Fastenau, del Equipo de Rutas y Paseos Escolares del BVSD, que también ayuda a conducir los autobuses durante la carencia de conductores.

El día del incendio de Marshall, Fastenau había estado trabajando hasta tarde y pudo sentir cómo los fuertes vientos arrancaban literalmente parte del tejado del edificio. Decidió volver a casa y vio el fuego ardiendo mientras conducía. Cuando llegó a casa, recibió una llamada del supervisor de Transporte del BVSD, Keith Putman, preguntándole si podía volver al trabajo para ayudar a evacuar las instalaciones médicas debido al incendio. Volvió al trabajo sin dudarlo. 

En medio del intenso calor del incendio, algunos conductores ya estaban evacuando a los pacientes del Centro de Atención Juniper Village Memory, situado justo al lado de la Escuela Preparatoria Monarch. Sin embargo, ese equipo solicitó conductores adicionales para ayudar. 

Fastenau se reunió con Putman, y con otras 15 personas del Departamento de Transporte, en la terminal de Lafayette. Estaban listos para proporcionar ayuda adicional, incluido un despachador de Lafayette que vino a ayudar, aunque fue evacuado de su casa.

"Aunque mi casa estaba en orden de preevacuación, sabía que tenía que ayudar a estas personas. Fui a la terminal a hacer lo que fuera necesario”, recordó el despachador. "Después de estar allí un tiempo, tuve noticias de mi familia y supe que tenía que regresar para ayudarlos. Me sentía dividida entre el deseo de ayudar y la necesidad de ayudar a mi familia".

Al final, se enteró de que lo había perdido todo en el incendio, pero su familia logró quedar a salvo. 

Un mecánico de autobuses recordó una llamada telefónica que recibió aquel día. 

"Es curioso, en cuanto recibí la llamada para ver si podía venir a ayudar, mi tía, que vive en Kansas, me llamó para preguntarme si todo estaba bien", recuerda el mecánico. "En ese momento, no sabía el alcance de los daños, solo que se necesitaban autobuses para evacuar a las personas y eso significaba que también se necesitarían mecánicos. Fue algo surrealista asegurarle que todo estaba bien, cuando yo sabía que en realidad no lo estaba. Los trozos de ceniza caían como hojas por el aparcamiento de autobuses mientras esperábamos a que llegaran los autobuses. Es inquietante recordar eso y darme cuenta de que lo que estaba viendo eran los restos tangibles de las casas de nuestros amigos y compañeros de trabajo."

La supervisora de la terminal de Lafayette, Lynn Tidd, habló con varios conductores de autobús del primer equipo que se dirigió a Juniper Village para informarse de cómo fue entrar en el incendio. 

"Cuando me acerqué a cada uno de estos individuos [conductores de autobús] para agradecerles su valentía y generosidad, me recibieron con humildad y un sentido de dedicación que simplemente supe que era lo que cada persona necesitaba hacer para ayudar en esta situación", dijo Tidd. "A medida que los conductores seguían contando sus historias, me invadió el asombro y la gratitud por la humilde valentía que demostraron".

Los conductores (que optaron por permanecer en el anonimato) compartieron su experiencia ese día:

"Estaba ansiosa y dispuesta a ir a ayudar. Tenía una sensación de urgencia y emoción. Mientras salíamos corriendo por la puerta hacia nuestros autobuses, nos dimos cuenta de que no teníamos ni idea hacia dónde íbamos y necesitaba volver a la central para obtener nuestra ubicación. Me acerqué al hospital desde el sur por la calle 88. Había brasas de las casas en llamas en St. Andrews Lane. Las brasas volaban bajo el autobús. Seguí adelante. Era todo tan surrealista."

"Seguí a otro conductor lo más cerca posible de Juniper Village. No voy a decir que estaba perfectamente en mi zona de confort. En un momento dado, llamé por radio al otro conductor porque no podía seguirlo a causa del humo negro. Respondió que tenía las luces de emergencia encendidas, pero que yo no podía verlas. Observé las brasas ardientes golpear el autobús, pero seguí avanzando hasta que llegué a Juniper House. Al llegar, ayudé al equipo médico y a los "ayudantes" a cargar pacientes en el primer autobús. Los pacientes estaban asustados, fríos y fuera de su zona de confort. Ayudé al personal a cargar mi autobús. Me quité el abrigo y lo coloqué alrededor de un paciente. Estaba con frío y llorando. Una vez cargado, me fui a Golden Lodge Assisted Living. Me dirigí por la calle 88 sur hasta East Coalton. Los incendios ardían a la vista de todos y vi cómo se destruían las casas".

"Al acercarme a Juniper Village, trozos de brasas de 12 a 18 pulgadas pasaban junto al autobús. Fue algo aterrador. Al llegar, no vimos a ningún empleado, así que golpeé las puertas para que supieran que estábamos allí. Luego, vi una fila de personas que salían en sillas de ruedas, usando andadores, abrazándose unos a otros. Preguntaron adónde íbamos. Les dije que estaban a salvo y que íbamos a un lugar seguro. Guié a la gente a los asientos, teniendo que agarrar a un hombre por el cinturón para evitar que se bajara del autobús. Cargamos unas 25 personas, un perro llamado Bernie y una gata llamada Kitty. Un miembro del personal del hospital subió al autobús y salimos de la ciudad. Estaba sosteniendo la mano de una de las mujeres que parecía especialmente angustiada. Estuve reconfortando, tranquilizando y animando a las personas para que no tuvieran tanto miedo. Nos tomó dos horas llegar a Golden debido a la cantidad de carreteras cortadas. Me pareció una experiencia maravillosa y hermosa. Las personas que necesitaban ayuda permanecieron tranquilas. Intenté mantener la calma por ellos. Esto fue tan surrealista".

Tras recibir la llamada de auxilio del primer equipo, Fastenau y otros dos autobuses fueron enviados a ayudar a Juniper Village. Les tomó algún tiempo llegar hasta allí, ya que tuvieron que atravesar los cierres de las carreteras, el tráfico y el humo. 

"Dirigiéndome al oeste por Dillon, la policía me paró en la calle 96 y me dijo que no podía continuar. Le expliqué que estaba intentando llegar al hospital para ayudar a evacuar a los pacientes”, dijo uno de los conductores. “No me querían dejar pasar. Así que di la vuelta al autobús y viajé hacia el norte hasta South Boulder Road. Allí me encontré con otro oficial de policía y le conté lo que estaba haciendo. Llamó por radio para permitirnos acercarnos al hospital. Mientras iba hacia allí, vi a uno de nuestros conductores jubilados intentando juntar sus vacas para salvarlas. Era como estar en una película, muy aterrador. El viento soplaba muy fuerte. El viento lanzaba las brazas por todas partes, golpeando los lados del autobús. Podía sentir el calor de las llamas. Las llamas estaban justo ahí. Otro conductor me llamó por radio y me preguntó si tal vez deberíamos dar la vuelta. Respondí que no, necesitamos ayudar a estas personas y seguir adelante”.

Fastenau recordaba: "Este incendio, no había quien lo parara, todo a su paso iba a ser destruido. Y el viento, nunca lo he visto con tanta fuerza. El conductor detrás de mí dijo '¿deberíamos estar haciendo esto?' y yo dije 'es nuestro deber'. Literalmente, había brasas golpeando nuestro autobús. Las casas a nuestra derecha estaban en llamas. Estaba en un autobús de propano, que es, ya saben, gas comprimido. Así que en ese momento, no sabía lo que iba a pasar, pero uno hace lo que tiene que hacer. Cuando hay personas, sobre todo mayores, que están en esa situación, uno hace lo que tiene que hacer".

Afortunadamente, debido a que el incendio estaba justo al otro lado de la calle del centro de memoria, cuando llegaron, todas las personas ya habían sido evacuadas. Fastenau y su equipo no estaban al tanto de esto porque no tenían contacto por radio en ese momento. 

"Antes teníamos dos autobuses allí y sacaron a la mayoría para ir a Golden", dijo Putman. "Fueron ellos los que se pusieron en contacto con nosotros para decirnos que necesitaríamos más autobuses, que no podríamos meter todas las sillas de ruedas. Por eso intentamos llevar más autobuses allí. Resulta que Via Transportation apareció y ayudó, así que todos pudieron salvarse".

A medida que el fuego seguía avanzando y los vientos continuaban soplando, los conductores podían sentir el calor del fuego y sabían que ahora tenían que regresar a salvo a la terminal.

"Teníamos que llegar a casa. ¿Cómo íbamos a llegar a la terminal? Había fuego por todas partes", recordó Fastenau. "No se parece a nada que haya visto antes. El conductor del autobús que iba detrás de mí dijo que esto es como en las películas, como una película de zona de guerra. Diría que mi adrenalina estaba alta".

Con este acto heroico, los conductores de autobús dicen que solo han hecho su trabajo. Muchas personas no saben que los conductores hacen mucho, mucho más que llevar y traer a los estudiantes a la escuela. Muchas veces se les pide que ayuden con el transporte en la comunidad con eventos especiales y sí, durante las tragedias. Han ayudado en grandes tormentas de nieve recogiendo a conductores varados, ayudaron en las evacuaciones durante la inundación de hace unos años, y ahora salieron al fuego para salvar vidas. 

"Nuestro trabajo consiste en llevar a los niños a la escuela de manera segura, pero hay mucho más que eso. Nos involucramos con las familias, con los niños... cualquier forma en que podamos ayudar, lo hacemos", añadió Fastenau. "En el transporte consideramos que hacemos algo más que llevar a los niños a la escuela. Nos consideramos un elemento en la comunidad al que siempre se puede recurrir. Comuníquese y lo ayudaremos en todo lo que podamos. Las personas aquí son increíblemente generosas, amables y siempre están dispuestas a ayudar, y me siento muy afortunada de trabajar aquí."

Fastenau no quería que le pagaran por su tiempo ayudando durante el incendio. Dijo que no quería cobrar por intentar ayudar a las personas. Pero por supuesto que le pagaron, y donó ese dinero a una de las familias que lo perdieron todo. 

"Eso es lo que hacemos aquí. Creo que no hay mucha gente que conozca a las increíbles personas que trabajan en nuestro departamento", dijo Fastenau. 

"Y un toque heroico, pero eso no lo ven", añadió Putman mientras daba las gracias a su equipo. "Usted es una buena persona como siempre supimos que era. No fue una sorpresa". 

"Sí, no vemos eso. No me consideraría una heroína. Hice lo que había que hacer y eso es lo que hacemos".



Recent Stories