Boulder Valley School District

School Counseling Internships

Thank you so much for your interest in pursuing your school counseling internship in the Boulder Valley School District. Internships are available for current students in school counseling Masters programs.

There are a variety of steps that you need to take to apply for internship with BVSD.  Please click the links below to complete the application form and to review the Internship Supervisory Agreement.

In addition to completing the internship application and supervisory agreement, please be sure to complete a background check per BVSD policies.  Information on BVSD-required background checks can be found on the Volunteering at BVSD page.  

If you have completed a background check as part of your School Counseling training program, a letter from your university stating that you have passed such a check will also suffice.

We look forward to working with you to help you train to become a Professional School Counselor.

Application Materials

Practicum/Internship Application

BVSD Internship Agreement (to be submitted after placement)



Colorado Department's Special Service Provider Licensure Requirements:

Pathway 1 (initial or professional SSP license/school counselor):

  • Master's or higher degree in School Counseling as defined by accreditation by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling for Related Educational Programs (view information about CACREP Accreditation)
  • Minimum of 100 clock-hour practicum
  • Minimum of 600 clock-hour internship, with multiple grade levels of students under the supervision of a licensed school counselor
  • Passage of the Colorado state approved content exam

 Pathway 2 (interim authorization/school counselor) :

  • Master's or higher degree in a clinical counseling domain (e.g., mental health, etc.) or social work
  • A valid counseling (LPC) or social work  (LSW, LCSW) license issued by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies
  • Three or more years' full-time, fully licensed experience as a LPC-, LSW- or LCSW-licensed clinical counselor or  social worker

When issued, this interim authorization will be valid for one calendar year and may not be renewed. During that time, the authorized school counselor must fulfill the following requirements:

  • Complete an approved induction program for SSPs/school counselors
  • Pass the PRAXIS 5421 exam

Upon expiration of the interim license and fulfillment of the exam and induction requirements, the authorization-holder may apply for a professional SSP license with a school counselor endorsement.


Contact Roxanna Herrera
Administrative Assistant, Student Support Services