BVSD Safe Routes to School
We’d love your student to begin the day refreshed, energized, full of fresh air, and ready to learn. We encourage students and their families to walk, ride bikes, skateboard, scooter, and use other self-propelled methods to get to school year-round!
The benefits of active transportation are endless!
Physical and Mental Health
- Walking a half-mile to school in the morning equals about a quarter of the recommended 60 minutes of daily physical activity.
- Exposure to nature and free outdoor play can have additional health benefits including stress and anxiety reduction, and increased cognitive and motor functioning.
- Research shows that physical activity improves student focus, academic performance and classroom behavior.
- Teaching pedestrian safety skills at a young age helps prepare students for more independent travel later in life.
- Students who walk to school have a better understanding of their community than those that ride the bus or are driven.
- Groups of children walking to school are a visible reminder of the importance of high quality pedestrian facilities and can help spur changes in the built environment.
Questions? Contact our Safe Routes to School team at SafeRoutes@bvsd.org.
Electric Vehicle Program (EV)