Wednesday, October 6, 2021
Bike and Roll to School Day
BVSD Bike and Roll to School Day
Wednesday, April 20th, 2022
BVSD Bike and Roll Week is April 18-21, 2022
In the Boulder Valley School District, we celebrate Bike to School Day a little earlier than the rest of the country. While the national day is celebrated in May, we like to align our celebration with Earth Day in late April. By having an event in April, rather than May, we hope to encourage more biking and rolling to school for the remainder of the school year. Additionally, since our school year comes to a close in May, having an event in April helps to avoid the crunch of lots of other end-of-the-year events.
Extend the fun! Lots of our schools like to celebrate all week and plan fun events and themes each day.
- Greet students with stickers and/or healthy snacks as they arrive at school.
- To request giveaways, fill out this survey.
- Organize neighborhood group rides aka bike trains.
- Boulder County is hosting an Introduction to Bike Trains learning session on April13, 2022 at 1:00. Register at tinyurl.com/3r32typb.
- Coordinate with your school to have a sound system outside with music.
- Have a raffle for prizes for participants.
- Host a bicycle rodeo (bicycle obstacle course).
- Have supplies for students to decorate their bicycles or helmets.
- Organize volunteer crossing guards at key intersections.
- Email SafeRoutes@bvsd.org for safety vests and stop signs.
- Invite a local bike shop or bicycle mechanic to do bicycle tune ups and helmet checks.
- Make a poster for students to sign.
- Organize a bicycle collection drive for Community Cycles to refurbish bikes and get them back out into the community.
- Organize a bicycle registration drive.
- Share your school's travel map with families.
How do parents help their child be a safe bicyclist? Download a bicycling safety tip sheet.
Need a bike? Check out Community Cycles for an excellent selection of used bicycles.
For more information about bicycling, visit our collection of bicycling videos organized by topic.
For more ideas visit WalkBikeToSchool.org
Questions? Contact SafeRoutes@bvsd.org
Did you know that a short walk or bike ride can help prepare your brain for learning?
Winter Bike to Work Day
Friday, February 11, 2022
April 18-21, 2022
BVSD Bike to School Day
Wednesday, April 20, 2022