Get a year or more of college paid for!
ASCENT is a program that provides tuition for the first year of college at either Front Range Community College or Metropolitan State University Denver. If a student plans appropriately and begins taking concurrent enrollment courses their junior year, the ASCENT program can assist in completing two years of college tuition free! To participate, students must have a minimum of 9 college credits completed by June of their senior year.
Two dates for Seniors to remember:
November 11 - complete the Intent to Participate form. This lets us know how many students are interested in the program for the following year. Failure to complete the form is not a requirement nor by completing the form are you obligated to apply.
May 1 - Deadline for all application materials. See below for details.
ASCENT and TREP Virtual Information Session Recording and Slides Click the title above to be redirected. The recording will be after the ASCENT and TREP links.
|9th- 11th Grade||
Determine if ASCENT is appropriate for your academic plan
Earn a minimum of 9 college credits with a grade of C or better (AP/IB test scores do not apply unless they have been accepted and transcripted by a college)
|12th grade - September or October||
Apply for FAFSA or CASFA - If you qualify for a full Pell grant, ASCENT may not be the best option for you. Students in the ASCENT program can not receive Federal or State financial aid.
Complete the Intent to Participate form.
Research College Scholarship opportunities.
12th grade - Fall/Spring
If you haven't already, apply to Front Range Community College or Metropolitan State University (includes signing up for COF)
|MAY 1st of 12th grade||
Submit to your counselor the above checklist complete with signatures, your one page essay and your college transcripts.
If taking classes at FRCC, complete this Google form: (Coming in February)
If taking classes at MSU, complete this Google form: (Coming in February)
|End of 12th grade||Walk with your graduation class|
|End of May||ASCENT notifications determined|
|June 30||Confirm you will participate in the ASCENT program|
- What is ASCENT?
- How would ASCENT benefit students?
- How do students qualify for the program?
- Should all qualified students participate in ASCENT?
- How much college tuition will Boulder Valley School District pay?
- Will Boulder Valley School District pay for student’s room and board at the college?
- Does participating in this program impact the amount of financial aid a student may receive?
- If students stay enrolled at the high school for a 5th year, when will they be considered a high school graduate?
- Will students be able to participate in a high school graduation?
- Where can students take college classes?
- Is there a limit to the number of credits a student can take?
- Are students required to participate for the entire school year?
- Which college classes can a student take?
- Can a student participate in college activities and athletics?
- Can a student live in the dorms?
- Will Boulder Valley School District provide transportation to the college?
- What else does a student need to know?
- When do students have to decide and commit to the program?
- What do students need to do now?