Seal of Biliteracy
Language is an Asset
The Seal of Biliteracy is for all students who achieve a high level of proficiency in English and another language.
Earning the Seal of Biliteracy can help set you apart in your college and career paths.
Purpose for offering the Seal of Biliteracy in BVSD
We are committed to motivating and encouraging every student with a high school preparation program leading to graduation and college and career readiness. We seek to create the environment where:
- The bilingual/multilingual identities of our students in the classroom and the community are a valued asset.
Proficiency in multiple languages, including English, makes important contributions to a student’s cognitive development, understanding of diverse cultures, and economic opportunities.
Providing universities with the Seal of Biliteracy certification allows them to give credit and recognition to applicants for attainment of high level skills in multiple languages.
Multilingual skills are needed to build trust and understanding across the multiple language and cultural groups in our diverse community.
The demand for employees to be fluent in more than one language is high and increasing in Colorado and throughout the world.
Fluency in multiple languages is a critical element in enabling citizens of our city and state to participate effectively in a global political, social, and economic context.
Students earned the Seal of Biliteracy at graduation in 2022
Language Assessment Specialist
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Seal of Biliteracy?
- What are the requirements to earn the Seal?
- How will I be recognized for earning the Seal?
- What languages does BVSD assess for?
- What if the language I speak does not have a BVSD class or have an assessment?
- How do I take/pay for the AVANT and AAPPL tests?
- How does the district receive assessment results?
- How do students include the achievement of the Seal of Biliteracy on College Applications?
- Will the Seal of Biliteracy be on a student's official transcript?
- How long does it take for AVANT & AAPPL results to be received?
What is the Seal of Biliteracy?
What are the requirements to earn the Seal?
How will I be recognized for earning the Seal?
What languages does BVSD assess for?
What if the language I speak does not have a BVSD class or have an assessment?
How do I take/pay for the AVANT and AAPPL tests?
How does the district receive assessment results?
How do students include the achievement of the Seal of Biliteracy on College Applications?
Will the Seal of Biliteracy be on a student's official transcript?
How long does it take for AVANT & AAPPL results to be received?
2023 Requests for Support are NOW OPEN!
Students who need assistance in determining if they have met the Seal criteria or how they can meet it, should complete the form below.
- Arapahoe Ridge High School
- Boulder High School
- Boulder Prep High School
- Boulder Universal
- Broomfield High School
- Centaurus High School
- Fairview High School
- Justice High School
- Monarch High School
- Nederland High School
- New Vista High School
- Peak to Peak Charter School