Boulder Valley School District

TREP Program

future teachers

Teaching Career Pathway

Are you a high-school student interested in becoming a teacher or school counselor? Check out TREP - Teacher Recruitment and Education Preparation Program. This program pays for your first two years of college education while also providing support services to prepare you to be the best teacher ever! 


Information for Students - English

Information for Students - Spanish

What courses will I take?

The pathway coursework, seen in the image below, allows for candidates such as yourself to begin the journey with introductory (though rigorous) education courses. These introduce teaching, understanding of child and human development, innovative thinking in education, how to work with families and communities, and opportunities to have field experiences in classrooms.  To be eligible for TREP, students must take at least one of the courses listed below during 12th grade. Note that the course numbers listed here are from within the community college system and may change depending on the institution to which one transfers. (Click here for a list of MSU courses eligible for TREP.) Students participating in Pathways2Teaching and Teacher Cadet programs during 12th grade are eligible.

Once selected into TREP, candidates must take at least one of the courses listed each fall and maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0.

Virtual ASCENT/TREP Information Session - March 4, 2024 - 6:30 pm



First page of the PDF file: TREPEducatorPathway11212023update

Steps to Apply for TREP

There are a limited number of slots available each year. Please follow the steps below very carefully. All materials must be submitted by March 30 of your senior year. Notification of awards will be made in May. Late applications will only be considered if there are unused awards available. If at any point in the process you are no longer interested, please let us know as soon as possible.

  1. Click on the Information for Students button above and learn the details of the program.
  2. Complete this Interest Form. 
  3. Take a required course. If you haven't already, make sure you take one of the listed courses your senior year. You may take other courses as well. For information on accessing these courses, visit the College Before Graduation website or talk to your counselor about opportunities in your school.
  4. Complete and submit with appropriate signatures the TREP Application (in Spanish), which includes the following:
    • Meeting with your high school counselor to discuss your goals. 
    • Deciding if you want to participate in the program your first semester either Part time (3-11 credits) or Full time (12 or more credits).
    • Submitting a one page essay describing your interest in the teaching profession, any field experience in education and how TREP will help make possible your career goals.
    • Applying to the college of choice - Front Range Community College, or Metropolitan State University Denver.
    • Meeting with an academic or TREP advisor from your college of choice to work out an academic plan.
  5. Informal Interview. We will contact you to set this up in the spring.

Candidates not chosen to participate in TREP may be able to participate in the ASCENT program as long as they have earned a minimum of 9 college credits by the end of their senior year.

For any questions, please contact 720.561.5166.