Get a year or more of college paid for!
ASCENT is a program that pays tuition for students to take a year of college courses at a community college after their senior year. If a student plans appropriately, they can complete that 5th year of High School with as much as two years of college paid for.
|9th- 11th Grade||
Determine if ASCENT is appropriate for your academic plan
Earn a minimum of 12 college credits with a grade of C or better (AP/IB test scores do not apply unless they have been accepted by a college)
|October of 12th grade||
Apply for FAFSA
Research College Scholarship opportunities
|December of 12th grade||
With your counselor, complete this checklist
Submit ASCENT Letter of Intent to Counselor
|January of 12th grade||Apply to Community College (includes signing up for COF)|
|February of 12th grade||Complete and submit a one page essay explaining why you want to participate in ASCENT. Submit to your counselor the completed and signed Agreement Form (English / Spanish), and High School and College Transcripts|
|May of 12th grade||Walk with your graduation class|
|End of May||ASCENT notifications determined|
|June 30||Confirm you will participate in the ASCENT program|
- What is ASCENT?
- How would ASCENT benefit students?
- How do students qualify for the program?
- Should all qualified students participate in ASCENT?
- How much college tuition will Boulder Valley School District pay?
- Do students have to reimburse Boulder Valley School District for the cost of tuition?
- Will Boulder Valley School District pay for student’s room, board, books, supplies, and fees at the college?
- Does participating in this program impact the amount of financial aid a student may receive?
- If students stay enrolled at the high school for a 5th year, when will they be considered a high school graduate?
- Will students be able to participate in a high school graduation?
- Where can students take college classes?
- Is there a limit to the number of credits a student can take?
- Are students required to participate for the entire school year?
- Which college classes can a student take?
- Can a student participate in college activities and athletics?
- Can a student live in the dorms?
- Will Boulder Valley School District provide transportation to the college?
- What else does a student need to know?
- When do students have to decide and commit to the program?
- What do students need to do now?