Get a year or more of college paid for!
ASCENT is a program that pays tuition for students to take a year of college courses at a community college after their senior year. If a student plans appropriately, they can complete that 5th year of High School with as much as two years of college paid for.
Application Deadline is February 1of the student's senior year
|9th- 11th Grade||
Determine if ASCENT is appropriate for your academic plan
Earn a minimum of 12 college credits with a grade of C or better (AP/IB test scores do not apply unless they have been accepted by a college)
|October of 12th grade||
Apply for FAFSA
Research College Scholarship opportunities
|December of 12th grade||
With your counselor, complete this checklist
Submit ASCENT Letter of Intent to Counselor
|January of 12th grade||Apply to Community College (includes signing up for COF)|
|FEBUARY 1st of 12th grade||Complete and submit a one page essay explaining why you want to participate in ASCENT. Submit to your counselor the completed and signed Agreement Form (English / Spanish), and High School and College Transcripts|
|May of 12th grade||Walk with your graduation class|
|End of May||ASCENT notifications determined|
|June 30||Confirm you will participate in the ASCENT program|
- What is ASCENT?
- How would ASCENT benefit students?
- How do students qualify for the program?
- Should all qualified students participate in ASCENT?
- How much college tuition will Boulder Valley School District pay?
- Do students have to reimburse Boulder Valley School District for the cost of tuition?
- Will Boulder Valley School District pay for student’s room, board, books, supplies, and fees at the college?
- Does participating in this program impact the amount of financial aid a student may receive?
- If students stay enrolled at the high school for a 5th year, when will they be considered a high school graduate?
- Will students be able to participate in a high school graduation?
- Where can students take college classes?
- Is there a limit to the number of credits a student can take?
- Are students required to participate for the entire school year?
- Which college classes can a student take?
- Can a student participate in college activities and athletics?
- Can a student live in the dorms?
- Will Boulder Valley School District provide transportation to the college?
- What else does a student need to know?
- When do students have to decide and commit to the program?
- What do students need to do now?