Seal of Biliteracy
Language is an Asset
The Seal of Biliteracy is for all students who achieve a high level of proficiency in English and another language.
Earning the Seal of Biliteracy can help set you apart in your college and career paths.
Purpose for offering the Seal of Biliteracy in BVSD
We are committed to motivating and encouraging every student with a high school preparation program leading to graduation and college and career readiness. We seek to create the environment where:
- The bilingual/multilingual identities of our students in the classroom and the community are a valued asset.
Proficiency in multiple languages, including English, makes important contributions to a student’s cognitive development, understanding of diverse cultures, and economic opportunities.
Fluency in multiple languages is a critical element in enabling our city and state to participate effectively in a global political, social, and economic context.
The demand for employees to be fluent in more than one language is high and increasing in Colorado and throughout the world.
Multilingual skills are needed to build trust and understanding across the multiple language and cultural groups in our diverse community.
Providing universities with a certification allows them to give credit and recognition to applicants for attainment of high level skills in multiple languages
- What is the Seal of Biliteracy?
- What are the requirements to earn the Seal?
- How do I get the green cord at graduation?
- What languages does BVSD assess for?
- How many BVSD students earned the seal in 2019?
- How do I take/pay for the AVANT and AAPPL tests?
- How can a student earn the Seal of Biliteracy in ASL?
- How does the district receive assessment results?
- Can I apply for the Seal before taking the assessments?
- How do students include the achievement of the Seal of Biliteracy on College Applications?
- Will the Seal of Biliteracy be on a student's official transcript?